200g Cooked beetroot (pre-cooked or cook whole raw beetroot in boiling water for 45-60)
1 Small candy beetroot
100g Soft goats cheese
1 Small Granny Smith apple
30ml Olive oil
1/2 Lemon - squeezed
1 Cress punnet
50ml Cider vinegar
Salt and pepper for seasoning
01. If you're using fresh beetroot wash and boil them until soft then peel and leave to cool. If using pre cooked, drain the beetroot and slice thinly. Then arrange the slices like a carpaccio on the plate.
02. Peel and slice or use the peeler to get thin peelings of the candy beetroot, add to a small bowl with thinly sliced radish, add a good pinch of salt and the cider vinegar for a quick pickle.
03. Whip the goats cheese with a whisk, if a bit hard and is not whisking add a little water and lemon juice to loosen. You can also add creme fraiche to loosen mix. This can be done in a blender or food processor. Then put in a piping bag, if you haven't got a piping bag put mix in sandwich bag and snip one of the corners for the same effect.
04. Peel and deseed 1/4 cucumber and blanch for 30 seconds in boiling water and then ice cold water and cut into squares. You don't have to blanch the cucumber, I just like the subtle taste it creates and the colour it gives the cucumber.
05. Make the dressing by mixing the olive oil, honey and lemon juice together then add seasoning to taste. You can substitute the lemon juice for balsamic vinegar which also works well.
06. Cut the apple into matchsticks and trim the cress then assemble the salad on top of the sliced beetroot. Blob the whipped goats cheese, place the pickled pieces of candied beetroot and radish, dot the cucumber and the apple matchsticks, cress and dress in the dressing. I have also washed some of the beetroot leaves but rocket or any salad leaf will work well.