- 2 6oz hanger steaks
- 4 bagels
- 250g spinach
- 300g unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 shallots (finely diced)
- 3 tbsp chopped tarragon
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 01. Season the hanger steaks and BBQ. 5/8 mins for rare or longer depending on how you like your steak. Leave to rest in a warm place.
- 02. For the béarnaise, clarify the butter by melting it in a saucepan over a low heat. When foaming, remove from heat. Leave for a few minutes for the white solids to sink.
- 03. Pour the vinegar in a saucepan with the diced shallot, tarragon and a pinch of salt. Heat gently over medium heat until the volume of liquid has halved. Strain through a sieve and leave to cool.
- 04. Beat the egg yolks with the lemon juice and add the vinegar reduction over a pan of simmering water (bain-marie), don’t let the base touch the water!
- 05. Whisk constantly until the sauce thickens slightly, remove from the heat and whisk in the clarified butter constantly whisking until thick and smooth.
- 06. Finish with chopped tarragon and seasoning. Leave in a warm place.
- 07. Cut the bagel and toast it. Slice the hanger steak then assemble with raw spinach, juicy steak and rich, buttery, tangy béarnaise sauce.