It is with a heavy heart that we have made the difficult decision to close our doors, as of Friday 20th March. Our priority has always been the health and wellbeing of both our staff and our customers, as we do what we can to stem the spread of the virus.
While these events are uncertain and unpredictable, this does not affect our determination to re-open, hopefully in the not so distant future.
Please stay in touch and up to date with any news and inspiration from The Litton on our social channels and via email.
For now, thank you from all of the team for your support and we send all our love to you.
My take is serving it with with a whole poached pear and chocolate sauce. I love my crumble topping biscuity, buttery and crunchy, resembling granola and not like ones that look like sand and taste the same.
01. Start making a stock syrup by adding the sugar, cloves and halved orange to the water and bring to the boil for a few minutes.
02. Peel the pears then add them to the syrup for 2 minutes.
03. Take the pan off the heat and leave the pears to cool in the syrup.
04. Next, mix all the crumble ingredients together on a baking tray (breadcrumb together) and bake at 170C, taking the mix out and turning it every 10 minutes until golden, crisp and chunky like granola. Leave to cool, it will harden more when cooling. (This is the trick to a great crumble, bake the topping separately)
05. Peel, core and chunky chop the Bramleys, then add about 100ml of the pear sugar syrup and simmer until they just start to break down, remove from the heat immediately. I like there to be chunks of apple with a little texture and not all apple puree.
06. Assemble the crumble with the poached pears sticking out the top, then bake at 170C for 10-20 minutes until warm.
07. Whilst they are baking make the simple chocolate sauce by breaking up the dark chocolate and melting in a bain-marie (bowl over simmering water). Add some of the stock syrup to loosen the sauce if you like it thick, or more syrup to loosen it more.
08. Take the crumble out the oven and serve it with the warm chocolate sauce. Enjoy!